It’s January. Blah! It’s probably my least favorite month except that it is probably the slowest paced month and it allows me time to recover after the crazy month of December. It’s cold and snowy/rainy here and I just saw the forecast is calling for a high of 9 on Monday. Brr. I think this Cheesy Potato Soup might have to be on the menu next week.
While I prefer to hibernate in the house when it is that cold and only go outside when I absolutely have to, my husband is out braving the elements to make sure all the cattle are cared for. When it’s cold outside he actually spends more time outside it seems. We want to make sure the cattle have plenty of fresh water and that it isn’t frozen, that they have fresh, clean straw (as my husband says, “I like to have clean, dry sheets on my bed.”), proper access to their feed if it snows, and that they are healthy. This cheesy potato soup would be the perfect way to warm him up!
Cheesy Potato Soup
This recipe is a tried and true recipe from my mother-in-law. A lot of people find it hard to believe, but my husband doesn’t really like soups. Chili and this cheesy potato soup are the only soups he will eat. Of course, he adds plenty of cheese and crackers to them, so really it’s more like a casserole and not a soup by the time he gets done. Oh, and ketchup. He puts ketchup on it, which does seem unusual, but it’s actually good.
Just look at that cheesy goodness.
One of my favorite things to do is to make this soup ahead of time and place it on the crockpot on warm. This makes it ready to eat whenever we want to…or when Brad makes it in to actually eat it.
Warm your bellies with this yummy soup!
Cheesy Potato Soup
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 5 Cups milk divided
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups cubed Velveeta
- 6 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups carrots peeled and sliced
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until fork tender.
- While the potatoes and carrots are cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, whisk together the butter, flour, 1 cup milk, Worcestershire sauce, onion flakes, celery salt, salt and pepper.
- Once the flour mixture starts to thicken, stir in the remaining 4 Cups of milk.
- Add the cubed Velveeta to the milk and allow to melt over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the cheese is melted, stir in the potatoes and carrots and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
[…] Thursday: Cheesy Potato Soup […]
[…] Cheesy Potato Soup from The Farmwife Crafts […]