Affiliate links were used in this post for products I love.
Are you looking for an easy to make weeknight meal? These pizza calzones are so easy to whip up you can even ask one of your kids to do it…or your husband!
These are definitely a family favorite in our house. Even B, our pickiest eater likes them. I mean, who doesn’t like pizza, right? I’m sure there are people out there who don’t like pizza and I’m definitely not judging, but in our house, liking pizza is a requirement.
Pizza is our Sunday tradition. We usually go to church and then go to our local Pizza King for the best pizza ever! I had some serious PK pizza withdrawals when the restaurants shut down during the beginning of COVID. Luckily, they were only shut down for a few weeks and then they started doing carry out only. Ahh!
While Pizza King pizza may be our Sunday tradition, I like to find different pizza recipes to enjoy throughout the week. A friend of mine made these Pizza Calzones one time when I was at her house. Now, obviously I like pizza in any way, shape, or form, so I of course like these and knew they would be a hit in my house. I think my husband likes them most of all. They are great to deliver to the fields because they can be eaten with one hand…sometimes…sometimes I add a little too much sauce and a fork is required!
You will need:
2 packages refrigerated pizza dough
1 lb ground beef
1 14 oz jar pizza sauce
1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni, green peppers, onions-optional for topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
I like to line my baking sheets with parchment paper just in case the sauce or cheese leaks out. It makes clean up a lot easier.
Brown the hamburger until no longer pink, then drain. If using onions and green peppers, I prefer to cook those with the hamburger to add more flavor, but you can also add them later as a topping.
While the hamburger is browning, roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle about 12″x15″. Cut it into 4 equally sized smaller rectangles.
Add the pizza sauce to the hamburger and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add about 1/3 Cup meat mixture to the pizza dough then top with whatever toppings you choose, add the cheese then fold the edges to cover. Do one corner at a time and diagonally like you are making an envelope (if that makes any sense whatsoever.)
Bake at 375 degrees for about 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with a nice tossed salad or maybe some creamed peas.
Supper will be ready in no time!
- 2 packages refrigerated pizza dough (not thick crust)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 14 ounce jar pizza sauce
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- green peppers, onions. pepperoni for toppings optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Optional, but definitely helps make clean up time faster.
- Brown the hamburger until no longer pink and drain. You can add in some green peppers and onions to add flavor to the hamburger, or just add them as toppings if you prefer to use them.
- While the hamburger is browning, roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle about 12"x15" using a rolling pin. Cut each one into equal sized rectangles.
- Stir the pizza sauce into the hamburger and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Place about 1/3 cup hamburger mixture into each rectangle. Top with green peppers, onions, pepperoni, or any other toppings you prefer, if using. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Fold the corners of the rectangles up over the hamburger mixture to make an "envelope."
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.