Sadly, summer is coming to an end and so is our garden. The only veggies left in our garden are tomatoes, peppers and zucchini. We still have zucchini coming out of our ears. Every year I only plant five zucchini seeds in my garden and you would think that I plant 50 of them because I always end up with a ton of zucchini. It doesn’t matter if there is a drought or a monsoon, zucchini will flourish! Everyone else has the same problem, so I rarely give them away. Our neighbor recently told us the joke, “If you ever see anyone buying zucchini at the grocery store, they must not have any friends.” I’m always trying to find new recipes to use because you can only have so many loaves of zucchini bread. When I saw this recipe for zucchini cookies, I knew that I wanted to try them because they looked yummy.
The icing on these cookies adds just the right amount of sweetness with the cinnamon and nutmeg spices in cookies. Make a batch of these cookies and share with your friends and neighbors. It will be a nice change from all those loaves of zucchini bread!
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 3/4 Cups quick oats
- 1/2 Cup butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon together in a large bowl and stir to combine ingredients well. Beat together shortening and and egg until well combined. Add zucchini and oats and beat until evenly mixed. Gradually add flour mixture and mix well.
- Spoon 1 inch drops of cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- Cream butter in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Add more milk and/or powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency.
- Frost cookies once they are cool.
[…] I said in my previous post where I shared a recipe for Zucchini cookies, the zucchini plants just keep on giving. One recipe that we love as a side with any meal is good […]
[…] 3.3.3070 Looking for more zucchini recipes? You might also try these Zucchini cookies… […]