Yesterday marked the official beginning of Fall. As sad as I am to see Summer go, I am loving the change in the weather and all the fall colors as well as the opportunity to bake as much as I can with apples and pumpkin. The days can get a bit long because my husband, Brad is usually in the fields harvesting so sometimes I just need to bake something to improve my mood a bit. The smell of this apple crisp baking in the oven is sure to put you in a good mood.
This recipe came from my mother-in-law. It’s easy to make, which is always a plus in my book! I have doubled her recipe, so my recipe can easily be cut in half.
I only have one suggestion for you when serving this…serve it warm, topped with ice cream! It’s delicious by itself, but paired with ice cream it will have your taste buds dancing. I promise!
Now is the perfect time to pack the kids in the car and visit a couple apple orchards and buy some fresh apples to make this apple crisp. Your family will love you!
- 8 Cups tart apples peeled and sliced (I prefer Granny Smith apples)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 3/4 Cup butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Peel and slice apples. Layer evenly in pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon, salt, and water.
- Combine flour, sugar, and butter and crumble over top of apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.