Affiliate links were used in this post for products I love.
Are you looking for a simple ornament to make with your kids this season? Or maybe you just enjoy some alone time spent crafting. These DIY Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments are so easy to make and they smell heavenly!
We have a lot of holiday traditions in our family. Most are as simple as the holiday decorations or decorating a gingerbread house. I have made a Christmas ornament with my girls since they were very young and I hope it’s one that continues. I hope they always look forward to making ornaments with me and maybe this will be something they will pass on to their own kids.
I always loved seeing these ornaments at craft shops and shows that I used to frequently go to. I don’t get to make it as many as I used to because life has gotten a bit busier and I’m definitely not complaining. Life will slow down in time, so I’ve decided to savor the moment. Anyway, I always thought they were difficult to make. I always thought they were for the “super crafty people” and I could never make them on my own. Well, little did I know, they are so easy and only take 3 ingredients that I already had in my pantry. Yep! I didn’t even have to go to the store! I decided one afternoon that I wanted these cinnamon Christmas ornaments to be our ornament for this season and we were making them within an hour!
DIY Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
You will need:
1 Cup cinnamon
3/4 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cloves
Baker’s Twine or ribbons to hang
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Farenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the cinnamon, applesauce, nutmeg, and ground cloves together until well combined. We started using a wooden spoon, then once more of a dough formed, we switched to our hands.
Once a dough ball forms, sprinkle your surface with a bit of cinnamon to avoid sticking, or put some parchment paper down.
Roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out shapes with the Christmas cookie cutters. Lay them on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Using the drinking straw, poke a hole in the ornament for the string. Be sure to leave a little bit of space above the hole so the ornament doesn’t break.
Bake in the oven for 2 hours. Let cool, add some ribbon or twine, and hang.
At this point your home will smell divine!!!!
I bought a small tree this year for the landing of our stairs and these ornaments hang on it. You can smell the cinnamon throughout the whole living room!!
I hope your family enjoys making these as much as mine did! May you all enjoy a bit of down time while gathered around celebrating the joys of the season!!
DIY Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
- 1 Cup cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Christmas Cookie Cutters
- Drinking Straws
- Baker's twine or ribbon to hang
- Rolling pin
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients, mixing until well combined and a dough begins to form.
- Sprinkle the surface with cinnamon to avoid sticking or line surface with parchment paper. Turn dough out onto prepared surface and knead the dough. Roll the dough out flat, about 1/4" thick.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out the desired shape repeating until all dough is used.
- Remove the shapes to the parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Using the drinking straw, poke a hole in the ornament where you want to hang. Be sure to leave enough space to create a buffer so the ornament doesn't break.
- Bake in oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool, add some ribbon or twine, and hang.
Here are some other ornament ideas you may like.
Thumbprint Christmas Ornaments
Leave a Reply