It’s almost Christmas! Are you looking for the perfect Christmas cookie to give as gifts, or maybe serve at your holiday party? These Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies may be just what you are looking for!
I’m sure there are several recipes for this cookie, but this particular recipe has been in my husband’s family for years. Every year his family gets together for Cookie Day. This year marked the 36th anniversary for this time honored tradition. My mother-in-law was pregnant with my husband during there first ever Cookie Day!
The same four types of cookies are always made.
Peanut Butter Kisses…
Mexican Wedding Cakes…
and Chocolate Thumbprints…
I didn’t hear an exact number this year, but I know in year’s past we have made around 1200 cookies.
Everyone chips in to help. I remember my very first Cookie Day, 13 years ago. I was told, “If you don’t help, you don’t get cookies.”
The guys and some of the girls head out in the afternoon to shoot clay pigeons. Somehow they still manage to get cookies though;).
There’s always plenty of laughter mixed in with a lot of work.
It’s always a good time when family gets together! Now, back to these cookies.
They are my husband’s favorite.
The dough is salty, but the sweet icing creates the perfect sweet and salty pair!
They look just as good as they taste!
Stay tuned for the recipes for the other three Cookie Day cookies!
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 sq oz packages of unsalted chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups flour
- chopped pecans
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and add sugar gradually until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Add flour and salt and mix well. Chill in fridge.
- Form dough into small balls, dip in slightly beaten egg white, then in chopped pecans.
- Press gently with thumb.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Cream butter and add egg yolk. Mix well. Add vanilla and sugar and mix well.
- Ice cooled cookies in the thumbprint.