Affiliate links were used in this post for products I love.
Are you looking for an easy breakfast recipe for your kids, or maybe even for yourself! You have to try this Best Ever French Toast Recipe!
I have a confession to make…I just recently started making French Toast. Shocker, I know!!! I’ve always been slightly intimidated by it. Just like, it also took me a long time to gain the courage to make cinnamon rolls with yeast, pie crust, and pies. Why are some things to scary?!
After researching and experimenting with ingredients I finally found the “concoction” that I liked best. And you know what? It is so super easy! I can even make this for the girls before school! Something about making my kids a homemade breakfast before they head out the door just makes me feel so accomplished and has me channeling my inner 50’s mom. Ha! I don’t make them a homemade breakfast every morning. Believe me, they are just as happy to have a bowl of cereal or a pop tart! Don’t judge!
I think the reason why I was so scared to make it is because I don’t care for thin French Toast. I like it to be thick. I think that by adding the flour to the dipping mixture it helps create a crispy layer while keeping the inside soft and keeping it from being thin and soggy.
Best Ever French Toast
You will need:
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 loaf Texas toast
butter for cooking
syrup and powdered sugar for toppings (optional)
Whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl.
Pour the batter in a shallow baking dish that is large enough to dip the bread in. Heat a griddle to 350 degrees or a frying pan to medium high heat. Add a couple tablespoons of butter to the griddle or frying pan and let melt. Using a spatula, smear the butter around so the entire surface is covered.
Dip the Texas Toast into the batter and allow it to soak for about 8-10 seconds on each side. Place the French Toast on the hot griddle of pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until it is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep it warm in the oven. Top with powdered sugar and syrup, if desired.
Seriously, this is so easy. I am kicking myself for not making it sooner! It is now a family favorite! They might choose this over pancakes!
The more syrup the better, right?!
Best Ever French Toast
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 loaf Texas Toast
- powdered sugar, syrup for topping, optional
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour into a shallow dish that is large enough to fit the bread slices.
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees or frying pan on medium high heat. Melt about 2 Tablespoons of butter in the griddle or frying pan. Use a spatula to evenly melt the butter by smearing it around the griddle or frying pan.
- Add a slice of Texas Toast to the batter and let it soak on each side for about 8-10 seconds.
- Place the toast on a hot griddle or frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until it is golden brown. Serve immediately or place in oven to keep warm.
- Serve with powdered sugar and syrup if desired.